SEO Full Form: Search Engine Optimization
SEO is a widely used keyword. Though the word is simple, it has a great impact on the digital world. People working in Digital Marketing, Blogging, or website development are mostly familiar with this word.
The reason behind this is that is has a vital role in Google Search Results, and hence if you are a website owner or blogger or a business owner and want to rank your website on top of Google Search Results you should know the basics of SEO.
In this article, I will tell you What SEO is all about? If you don’t have any idea What SEO is, after going through this article, you will never need to look back.
So, Lets start !!
What SEO is actually?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimisation. It is basically an online marketing strategy or technique to bring your website on top of search engines such as Google or Yahoo.
Due to the frequent update of algorithms by Google, it becomes more difficult to rank a website than earlier. But it is not impossible if you follow Google guidelines.
Back in 2011, it was so easy for any website owner to rank his website just by adding few lines or paragraphs. But time has changed, in 2020 you can’t rank a website just by writing a few paragraphs. It’s almost impossible.
The reason is that Google wants value-added content in its search results. Here value-added means when you write something on a particular topic, describe each and every single question related to that topic that users are asking on the web.
As a result, the user will feel valued when landed on a particular site.
Remember, whatever you are writing it must be relevant. If you keep on writing as per your choice, Google will neglect it. Hence, it is very important to write relevant content on a particular topic.
Earlier people used to copy the contents of the other and submitted to Google and earned lot of money, technology is becoming smarter now. Google’s latest algorithm Google Panda detects these copyrighted contents and blacklisted that site.
Google always prefers fresh contents, if you have written an article one year back which is already ranking on the first page of Google, then there is a chance that it might lose its first-page ranking if anyone writes fresh content one week ago.
The reason is that fresh content has updated information and hence Google prefers fresh content.
How to do SEO optimization
According to Netcraft, there are almost 644 million active websites are there on the internet. So, to bring it to the top of the search results, we generally use some techniques so that the Google algorithm reads our content quickly. That is why SEO is used on websites.
According to Moz, Search engine optimization (SEO) is the practice of increasing the quantity and quality of traffic to your website through organic search engine results.
There are two kinds of SEO techniques that are used generally to rank a website.
- On-Page Optimization or On-Page SEO
- Off-page optimization or Off-Page SEO
What is on page SEO
On-page, optimization refers to the techniques used in the web pages to make it Search Engine Friendly so that Google crawlers can read the content and structure of your website. In other words, it is the optimization of content, images, permalink, headings.
Now, we let us see all the techniques used in on page SEO:
- Domain Name: Domain Name must be relevant to the website type. There are 3 kinds of domains. They are: Top-level domain(TLD), Country Code Top-level Domain(ccTLD) and Generic Top-level domains(GTD). if you are running a business, then go for TLD domains as it allows you to rank worldwide such as xyz .com domain.
- Title & Description of your website: Always use the main keyword in the title. The description should be a 2029minimum of 500 words. Remember, more the article length, more SEO ranking. In description always use the main keyword in the first paragraph and last paragraph. Keyword Density should be at least 3%.
- Meta Tags: Meta tags play an important role in SEO ranking. Basically, the meta tags are the tags that written in the head section of the HTML. It is written in between <meta></meta> tag.It doesn’t appear on the HTML page but directs the browser to work.
- Articles Writing: We know that “Content is the king”. SO, the content that is most relevant to the title will have better SEO ranking.
- Optimized Images and Videos: The size of the images and videoes used in the article must be optimized, otherwise the website will not load even and hence visitors will bounce back as soon as they come to your website. The size of the images should be less than 100kB.
Also read, How to do SEO for a single page website
What is off page SEO
Off-page, optimization refers to the techniques used outside your website such as internal links and outbound links used on your website.
off-page SEO nowadays refers to backlinks. The backlinks are the links of your website which redirects to any other website when a user clicks a particular link.
Nowadays, everyone runs after the backlinks because Google recognizes the website which has more valid backlinks. There are 2 kinds of backlinks are there. These are:
- Do follow Links
- No -follow Links
Now let us see the various techniques that are used in Off-page SEO to rank any website
- Submit site to Google Webmaster: Google provides us a tool that allows us to index our website quickly. For that, you just need to upload the sitemap of your site to the google webmaster tool. The URL of the webpage will rank within 24 hours.
- Blog Commenting: You can comment on popular blogs and submit the URL of your site. As soon as the admin approves your comment, you will get backlinks for your site.
- Directory Submission: You can submit your site to different directories in google which will give you free backlinks.
- Lastly, to get the backlinks, there are few paid tools available which will provide the backlinks for your website. The most popular is “ahref and SEMrush”. You can try any one of them. This tool will give you a detailed analysis of your competitors.
Also read, What is Digital Marketing
Types of SEO:
Basis on On-page and Off-page, there are gnerally 3 types of SEO
- White hat SEO
- Black hat SEO
- Grey hat SEO
White Hat SEO:
White Hat SEO are the techniques and methods used to improve the search engine ranking of a website by following all the guidelines of search engines.
When you choose this method of SEO, then a website may take some time to rank but the ranking remains safe for a long time.
Examples of White Hat SEO includes relevant and quality content, internal linking, optimized website, quality backlinks, social media accounts, and Google AdSense approval.
Black Hat SEO:
Black Hat SEO are the techniques and methods that are used to rank a website on search engines by following an inappropriate way.
These techniques are prohibited by search engines such as Google. Following this method can give faster results, but once it detects by search engines such as Google, the website will be blacklisted forever.
Hence, it is recommended that never follow these methods to improve your search engine ranking.
For Example: It includes keywords staffing, duplicate contents from other site, spam links, thin contents and doorway pages.
Grey Hat SEO
Grey Hat SEO is another kind of SEO that doesn’t fully use either of White Hat nor Black Hat SEO. Rather it is combine method that uses White hat SEO and black hat SEO.
Keywords in SEO: How to research SEO friendly keyword
Keywords plays an important role in SEO, a right keyword can change the fortune of a blogger and its not a myth. There are so many succesful bloggers who started writing on a single keyword, and now they are earning in six digits.
So, Here I will tell you What is keyword in SEO.
Keywords are the phrases or words that you enter on search engines such as Google to find information. For example Web Design, Digital Marketing
This are called keywords, Bais on the length of phrase or words, keywords are devided into few categories:
- Short-tale keywords
- Long-tale keywords
- LSI(Latent Symentic Index) keywords
I personally use Uber Suggest By Neil Patel to research keywords since it is a low-cost premium tool. The tool gives a complete analysis of the search volume of any keyword, CPC(Cost Per Click), Paid difficulty, and SEO Difficulty.
It also gives a relative analysis of competitors ranked keyword and top-ranked pages. There are a lot of tools like SEOquake, small SEO Tools, Mozbar which give the free analysis of On-Page data.
According to an article I read few days back, S.E.O depends upon more than 200 factors, so one cannot focus on 200 factors at a time. Hence to realize these factors once need to follow a few guidelines given by google.
Days have gone when people completely rely upon S.E.O organically, due to the rise in competition people start searching an alternate way to rank the website. Because S.E.O is a very slow process, it gives the result no doubt but it takes time.